If last year was all about the acai bowl, then there's no doubt this year has to be the year of the Ahi Tuna Poke bowl. The Ahi Tuna Poke Bowl (pronounced POH-keh) is a traditional hawaiian seafood dish that consists of small cubed pieces of ahi tuna, salmon or octopus and is marinaded in soy sauce, topped with a variety of garnishings like toasted sesame seeds, avocado, and more. After visitng Hawaii numerous times and digging into numerous recipes, I decided to make make this poke bowl myself using ahi tuna. With that said, if you've ever wondered how to make an ahi tuna poke bowl like a true hawaiian local, look no further and check out the recipe below!
Ahi Tuna Poke Bowl Recipe:
Serving Size: 2-3
- Be sure to buy sushi-grade tuna (or salmon) if you prefer a milder fish.
- Cut the tuna and avocado into small bite-sized cubes
- Lastly, steam your 1-2 cups of brown rice mid-way through prep work
Ahi Tuna Poke Bowl Ingredients:
- 1 lb. sushi-grade ahi tuna (cubed)
- 1 avocado (cubed)
- 1-2 cups steamed brown rice (served at room temperature)
- 2 scallions (thinly sliced)
- 2 tablespoons – soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon – sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon – toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon – rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon – red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon – seasame seeds (for garnish)
- 1/4 teaspoon – siracha (optional if you like spicy)
Ahi Tuna Poke Bowl Directions:
- Whisk in a medium size mixing bowl the soy sauce, toasted seame oil, rice wine vinegar, sesame seeds, and red pepper flakes.
- Cut the ahi tuna in cubes and add the tuna and scallions in the bowl.
- Stir the bowl for 15 seconds or until all ahi tuna is covered with the sauce. Marinade for 5-7 minutes.
- Next, unpeel the cube the avocado and gently stir in with the ahi tuna.
- To serve, scoop 1/2 – 1 cup of steamed brown rice (room temperature) in a bowl and serve the ahi tuna poke on top.
- Garnish with toasted sesame seeds.
- Share and enjoy!
* Consuming raw or undercooked meats, poultry, seafood, shellfish, or eggs may increase your risk of foodborne illness, especially if you have a medical condition.