There a few things better than a great salad when you want to give your body the detoxifying boost that it needs to run at optimum performance. A simple, kale, avocado and seaweed salad recipe could be the perfect thing at any time of year to give you that much-needed dose of vitamins, minerals and energy.
Kale, Avocado, And Seaweed Salad (Recipe)
- 4 cups lacinato kale, de-spined and chopped finely
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 cup cucumbers, julienned
- Handful of Arame Seaweed or Dulse Seaweed.
- If you use arame seaweed, soak in water overnight, allowing it to increase in size.
- 2 large avocados, chopped into 1/4 inch cubes
- ¼ cup green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- 4 nori sheets shredded into 1/2 inch pieces (optional)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup tahini paste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsps rice vinegar
- ½ tbsps nama shoyu (raw soy sauce)
- ½ tbsp sesame oil
- ¼ tbsp sea salt (to taste)
- Mix all dressing ingredients in a blender, blend till smooth.
- Toss all salad ingredients in large mixing bowl with dressing. The longer you toss the better because you will massage the kale to be very tender.
- To finish, garnish salad with green onions, sesame seeds and shredded nori sheets.
Choosing Seaweed: Arame Seaweed Or Dulse Seaweed?
When it comes to using seaweed in salads, there are a number of different options to choose from. However, the two most ideal choices for a kale, avocado and seaweed salad recipe have to be Arame and Dulse.
First of all, Arame seaweed is a traditional part of a balanced Japanese diet, and has been used within the region for literally hundreds of years. This ingredient is commended for its abundance of fiber and useful minerals including iron, calcium and magnesium. According to folklore within Japan, Arame seaweed is helpful in enhancing beauty, improving health, and developing thick, lustrous hair.
Dulse on the other hand, is a powerful seaweed that provides a salty, earthy flavor to any meal. This type of seaweed is a great source of vitamin B6 and B12, as well as providing a healthy dose of many other minerals and vitamins, such as iron. Either option is great for a kale, avocado and seaweed salad recipe.
Kale is recognized throughout the world as a truly fantastic super-food. If you can, you should be getting a decent amount of this leafy goodness into your diet as often as possible. Highly nutritious and brimming with amazing antioxidant properties, kale is a natural anti-inflammatory substance, high in Vitamin K, Vitamin C, Beta Carotene, Calcium and Zeaxanthin. Kale, which is similar to other cruciferous vegetables such as brassicas and broccoli, contains a substance called sulforaphane, which is released best when the vegetable is minced or chopped. This chemical has been hailed as a chemical with potent properties for preventing cancer development.
The avocado is a particularly unique fruit. Most fruits generally consist of a large amount of carbohydrates, whereas avocados are naturally high in healthy fats. In the past, the fruit has been praised for its exceedingly high nutrient value, and it has been added to a wide variety of dishes due to its rich texture and great flavor. Among health conscious individuals, the avocado has emerged as an incredibly popular food, and is often referred to as a superfood because of its wide variety of nutrients, including folate, potassium and vitamin K.