A Simple Guide To Making Homemade Pizza
There are few people who don't know how to appreciate the quality of a great homemade pizza. You probably already have your own favorite pizza place that you visit often. But despite the goodness of pizza from those fine establishments, there is nothing that can beat homemade. But learning how to make great pizza at home means that you must learn a few little tricks from the master chefs. It's a fun activity that everyone in the family can take a part in, bringing all of you together for a fun-filled evening for all. Here is a simple guide to making homemade pizza.
- Prep: 1 hr 12m
- Cook: 21 min
- Ready In: 1hr 30 min
- Servings: 8
- 1 (.25 ounce) envelope active dry yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 6 fluid ounces water
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and shortening. Stir in the yeast mixture. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl, and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 45 minutes.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion until tender. Stir in tomato paste and water. Season with sugar, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, basil, oregano, marjoram, cumin, chili powder and red pepper flakes. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
- Recipe makes 2 (12 inch) pizzas. Divide dough in half, and spread onto pizza pans. Cover with sauce, and desired toppings. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
When you have a simple guide to making homemade pizza you'll be able to make a pizza that will be just as good as your favorite pizza place.
This site offers information designed for educational purposes only. You should not rely on any information on this site as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, treatment, or as a substitute for, professional counseling care, advice, diagnosis, or treatment. If you have any concerns or questions about your health, you should always consult with a physician or other health-care professional.