Persimmon And Blue Cheese Salad With Walnuts (Recipe)
Brighten up those dreary autumn days with this delicious and vibrant salad that features the delicate, sweet flavor of persimmons and the slightly tangy flavor of Maytag blue cheese. Persimmons are an excellent source of vitamin A and C, and can help the body develop resistance against infectious agents and help prevent heart disease. Persimmons are also an energy-dense fruit, which is why they are recommended for children, people with a highly active lifestyle, people involved with playing sports, and people who are just mentally or physically tired.
Persimmon And Blue Cheese Salad With Walnuts Recipe:
Serving Size: Yields roughly 2 tablespoons of dressing and 1 1/2 cups of salad.
- 4 cups of seasonal spring mix salad greens
- 2 ripe persimmons cut into very thin slices
- 1 cup of Maytag blue cheese crumbles
- 1/4 of cup raw toasted walnuts
- 1/4 cup of fresh pomegranate seeds
1.) For the simple vinaigrette dressing, combine the first four ingredients in a medium-to-large sized bowl and mix well. Slowly whisk in the extra virgin olive oil then add in the lemon zest, salt, and freshly ground black pepper, and mix well.
2.) Divide the seasonal spring mix salad greens equally onto 4 large plates and distribute equal portions of the persimmon slices, Maytag blue cheese crumbles, raw toasted walnuts, and pomegranate seeds.
3.) Drizzle each plate with the vinaigrette, and serve immediately.
Vinaigrette Dressing Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of fresh orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
This is best to make whenever persimmons are in season, which is October through February. These delicious fruits hang off the trees after the leaves drop in autumn. Feel free to substitute blue cheese crumbles with either feta cheese or goat cheese. Also, feel free to substitute toasted walnuts with toasted hazelnuts or pistachios. This salad is perfect for a quick and easy side or you can add slices of grilled chicken breast to make it a healthy meal.
Health benefits of Persimmons:
- Cold And Flu: Due to its high content of vitamin C, persimmons are highly effective in protecting the immune system and its daily functions, which can help relieve the symptoms of cold and flu.
- Constipation: Due to its high volume of fiber, persimmons make for a powerful natural remedy for constipation.
- Diuretic Effect: Persimmons have great diuretic properties because of their high content in calcium and potassium.
- High Blood Pressure: Persimmons are known to lower high blood pressure and prevent heart disease associated with hypertension.
- Liver Health And Body Detoxification: Persimmons contain a great amount of anti-oxidants, which assists with body detoxification and liver health.
- Natural Energizer: Persimmons are easily digestible fruits, which provide a lot of readily available energy.
- Stress, Tiredness And Fatigue: Persimmons contain a lot of sugar and potassium that can help provide the body with energy.
This salad is a wonderful way to enjoy raw persimmons and get all the enzymes from the fresh fruit. Persimmons are an inspired addition to fall and winter salads. This one would make for a lovely starter at Thanksgiving dinner.
This site offers information designed for educational purposes only. You should not rely on any information on this site as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, treatment, or as a substitute for, professional counseling care, advice, diagnosis, or treatment. If you have any concerns or questions about your health, you should always consult with a physician or other health-care professional.