Pumpkin Banana Superfood Smoothie (Recipe)
Now that Fall is officially here, and the holidays are quickly approaching what better way to start your day than with this Pumpkin Banana Spiced Superfood Smoothie. Completely loaded with vitamins, potassium, fiber, minerals, as well as omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids; this smoothie packs a serious health boost, while tasting delicious. I tend to make this smoothie in the mornings before a workout, or as soon as I complete my workout or run. It goes well for any meal replacement or even as a desert.
For those of you that don't know, pumpkin is extremely healthy for you. Pumpkins are one of those very low calorie vegetables that contains no saturated fat or cholesterol. It is also one of the food items recommended by dieticians to patients that are trying to lose weight and control their cholesterol intake. Pumpkin offers key health benefits such as:
- Aiding in weight loss
- Reducing cancer risk
- Reduce "LDL cholesterol" or bad cholesterol
- Aid in weight loss
- Jump start your mood
- Boost your immune system
- Healthy, glowing skin
- Strong and healthy vision
- Help in workout recovery
Pumpkin Banana Superfood Smoothie
Recipe Level: Easy
Prep Time: 5 - 10 minutes
Serving Size: 1-2 people (roughly 22 ounces)
- 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree
- 1 banana (frozen if possible)
- 1.5 cups of unsweetened almond milk (vaniila)
- 1.5 medjool dates
- 1 tbsp of chia seeds or hemp seeds
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp of agave nectar
- Dash of nutmeg
- Dash of cloves
- Pour your almond milk into Vitamix or blender and add your medjool date and blend until pureed.
- Next, add in your 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree, frozen banana, chia seeds or hemp seeds, cinnamon, and agave nectar. Blend until mixure is smooth and creamy.
- After a few seconds of blending turn off blender and add in your dashes of nutmeg, and cloves.
- Once your spices are added, blend for another 5 - 10 seconds.
- Pour, serve, and enjoy!
- Feel free to sprinkle cinnamon on top for garnish and extra cinnamon taste.
Note: If you want your smoothie thicker, add in another 1/2 banana or date. If you want your smoothie thinner, you can add in either more almond milk or some filtered water.
Also, for the pumpkin puree, you can either buy organic canned pumpkin puree from your local grocery store, or you can make your own. Ingredients and directions on how to make your own pumpkin puree are below.
Homemade Pumpkin Puree Ingredients:
Yields 2 Cups
- 2 cups of fresh cubed pumpkin
- 1/2 cup of pitted medjool dates
- 1/4 cup of water to assist with blending
Homemade Pumpkin Puree Directions:
- Place your 2 cups of fresh cubed pumpkin into blender.
- Add in 1/2 cup of putted medjool dates and 1/4 cup of water to assist with blending
- Blend until pureed. (If puree is not thick enough, add in more pumpkin. If puree is too thick, add in more water until you reach your desired consistency)
If you not only love Fall, but really enjoy the taste of every thing pumpkin then you will absolutely love this recipe. Let us know if you gave it a shot and liked it. We'd love to hear from you in the Knowzo comment section below!
This site offers information designed for educational purposes only. You should not rely on any information on this site as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, treatment, or as a substitute for, professional counseling care, advice, diagnosis, or treatment. If you have any concerns or questions about your health, you should always consult with a physician or other health-care professional.