With Fall in the air, and the cooler weather approaching the east and west coast, it's only right we continue to share these incredible soup recipes with you. Not just because this soup is warming, hearty, and healthy; but this Creamy Sweet Potato Broccoli Soup packs some serious flavor as well. Delivering a sweet, rich, and creamy texture this soup also provides a serious anti-inflammatory boost and will make you feel wondeful on a chilly, Fall evening. Below I'll dive right into the ingredients and directions to make this delightful soup.
Creamy Sweet Potato Broccoli Soup:
Serving Size: 6
Difficulty Level: Easy
- 1 very large sweet potato (or 2 medium) (peeled and chopped)
- 1 large head of broccoli (remove stems and thinly slice)
- 5 cups of chicken broth (replace with vegetable broth if you are vegan)
- 1 medium sized yellow onion (diced)
- 1.25 minced garlic cloves
- 1.5 Tbs of coconut oil
- 2.5 Tbs of lemon juice
- 1 Tsp of Tumeric
- Sea Salt and Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of roasted pumpkin seeds
- Turn your oven burner to medium and let it heat up. Once heated, begin to melt your coconut oil until it's all liquid. Once melted, add your garlic, onion, and a little bit of sea salt. Stir continuously for 5 minutes or so, until mixture is semitransparent.
- Next, you'll want to add in your five cups of chicken broth (vegetable broth if you are vegan) and your sweet potato. You'll want to stir around occasionally until you see that the sweet potato is fairly tender. This should take around 20 minutes.
- Next, you'll want to throw in the large head of broccoli and cook for 5 minutes. (Remember to remove stems or stalk)
- Next, you'll want to take your soup and gently pour it in a Vitamix or a high-powered blender. Once the soup is in the Vitamix, add in your 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp tumeric, and 2.5 tbs of lemon juice.
- Once all those ingredients are in the Vitamix (or high powered blender) you''ll want to blend on high until the soup becomes extremely smooth and creamy. (If your soup is too thick, add in 1/4 cup of water to level it out. If more water is needed, make the call on texture)
- You'll then want to take the soup and remove it from your Vitamix or blender and place it back into the pot you were cooking it in, previously. From here you will add salt and pepper, as well as modifiy any seasonings if necessary.
- Lastly, once the soup is reheated on the stove (or microwave) we recommend garnishing with roasted pumpkin seeds to add additional flavor to the soup. Feel free to drizzle olive oil on the top as well.
This is by far one of the best soups that I've ever made and continue to make it on a bi-monthly basis. I recommend serving this the Creamy Sweet Potato Broccoli Soup with a traditional french style baguette or italian style bread to complete the meal. The break soaks the soup up nicely and compliments it very well.
If you've made this Creamy, Sweet Potato Broccoli Soup and have any adjustments, recommendations, comments, or input, please feel free to drop them in the comment section below! We would love to hear from you.