Understanding Different Eczema Symptoms And Types

By Katy Gilligan
Updated January 5, 2016
Read our Disclaimer

Understanding Different Eczema Symptoms And TypesEczema is a common problem for millions of people nationwide. It is estimated that 35 million Americans have eczema. Eczema is a medical condition where patches of skin become rough and inflamed. It can also cause blisters that can cause itching and bleeding. Eczema affects about 1-3% of adults and 10-20% children. A majority of cases start in children who are younger than five years of age. About 60% of infants who have eczema will continue to have one or more symptoms in their adult life. Many people believe that eczema is a condition that is the same for each sufferer. However, there are several different types of eczema, and each one looks different and have slightly different symptoms.

Each type of eczema is different. Although each one is different from the other, there are a few symptoms that are common between all of the types of eczema. Recognizing what these symptoms are can help alert a person to the fact that they have eczema. A doctor can then pinpoint exactly which type is affecting them. One of the most common symptoms that comes along with all the different types of eczema is itching. This itching can be extreme and cause damage to the skin. This damage is most likely caused due to scratching. There can also be redness on the parts of skin that are affected. The skin may bleed and appear blotchy. When the skin is affected badly, it can crack. The skin can develop deep, painful cracks that are also called fissures. People who have eczema can also experience scaling. This is when the surface of the skin can flake off. This gives the skin a rough and scaly appearance. The last symptom that can be associated with each type of eczema is fluid-filled blisters. The blisters can ooze and also form crusts.

The first type of eczema is called atopic dermatitis. It is the most common form of eczema. People who experience this type of eczema also have a family history of eczema, asthma or hay fever. They can also have defects in the skin barrier that allows moisture out and germs into the skin. This type of eczema usually begins during infancy or childhood, but can affect people at any age. It usually affects the face, feet, hands, elbows, and the back of the knees.

The second type of eczema is called contact dermatitis. There are two types of contact dermatitis and they are called irritant contact dermatitis and allergic contact dermatitis. These types of eczema can develop after a certain substance damages the skin. Some of the substance damage can include chemicals and frequent hand washing. Irritant contact dermatitis can develop after touching a strong irritant just once or by coming in to contact with it on multiple occasions. Allergic contact dermatitis can happen after someone touches an allergy-triggering substance. The substances that affect each person varies depending on the person.

The next type of eczema is called nummular dermatitis. This type of eczema is actually more common in men than in women. If a man is affected by nummular dermatitis, they usually do not get their first outbreak until their mid-50s. Women do get this type of eczema. They get it in their teen years or early adulthood. Nummular dermatitis causes coin-shaped red marks on the skin.

Each type of eczema causes different symptoms and marks on the skin. Recognizing the symptoms that are common among the different types of eczema will help the eczema sufferers get treatment for eczema before it gets out of control. Always consult a doctor if any of these symptoms are experienced.

* Disclaimer:
This site offers information designed for educational purposes only. You should not rely on any information on this site as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, treatment, or as a substitute for, professional counseling care, advice, diagnosis, or treatment. If you have any concerns or questions about your health, you should always consult with a physician or other health-care professional.