The paleo diet is a hot topic right now. However, finding out exactly what you can and cannot eat can be a bit of a headache. Below is a complete list of the foods forbidden on the paleolithic or paleo diet. Hopefully, this will help you do it right.
List of Foods Forbidden on the Paleolithic or Paleo Diet:
1. Dairy – dairy spreads, all milk except 100% fresh from animal, creamer, cottage cheese, cheese, butter, cream cheese, yogurt, ice cream, pudding
2. Soft drinks – Sprite, Coke, Mountain Dew, Pepsi, and so on
3. Fruit juices – mango, starfruit, chinola, strawberry, grape, orange, apple
4. Grains – cream of wheat, oatmeal, crackers, wheat thins, sandwiches, toast, English muffins, bread, cereal, corn syrup, corn, wheat, hash browns, pancakes, pasta, beer, lasagna, fettuchini
5. Legumes – all beans, peas, peanuts, miso, peanut butter, lupins, lentils, soybeans, mesquite, tofu, soybean products
6. Artificial sweeteners – Acesulfame potassium, aspartame, aspartame-acesulfame salt, cyclamate, erythritol, glycerol, glucurrhizin, hydrogenated starch hydrolysate (HSH), isomalt, lactitol, maltitol, mannitol, neotam, polydextrose, saccharin, sorbitol, steviol glycoside, sucralose, tagatose, xylitol
7. Fatty meats – low quality meats, hot dogs, spam
8. Salty foods – ketchup, French fries
9. Snacks – pastries, SunChips, cookies, wheat thins, triscuits, chips, bretzels
10. Starchy vegetables – beets, yam, acorn squash, butternut squash, batata, yucca, sweet potatoes, potatoes
11. Energy drinks – 5-Hour Energy, XS Energy Drink, Vault, Mountain Dew MDX, Starbucks Refreshers, Rockstar, Monster, Red Bull
12. Alcohol – alcohol and mixers, vodka, rum, tequila, whiskey, beer
13. Sweets – Skittles, M&Ms, Payday, Reese's, Butterfinger, 100 Grand, Snickers Peanut Butter, Snickers, Candy Bars, Twizzlers, Red Vines, Nestle Crunch, Hershey's, Mounds, Almond Joy, Reeses' Fast Break, Mounds, Twix Peanut Butter, Twix
When reading through that list, you may feel as if the foods forbidden on the paleolithic or paleo diet are a lot more than the foods that you can have, and quite rightly so. This is because the essence of the paleo diet is that you only eat what our caveman ancestors were able to eat. Not only did they not have access to brand foods like Pepsi or M&Ms, they didn't even have the ability to produce it. And that is the key to this particular diet.
You may have noticed that you are allowed to have milk straight from the animal, but not any other type of milk. This is because cows were around when our caveman ancestors were, but the ability to remove the fat from the milk was not. The big question you have to ask yourself when you want to go paleo is "were cavemen able to eat this?". Unfortunately, it isn't as easy as saying that, yes, they were able to eat berries, so you can buy berries in the grocery store. After all, our cavemen ancestors were not able to eat anything that wasn't truly, 100% organic and untouched by things like pesticides and herbicides. So, the rule of thumb is: if it has been altered by man, don't eat it. If it is as it grows in nature, have as much as you want.